Primary Care Supported by a Hospital of Specialists
Dozens of the finest pediatricians in Dallas are Medical City Children’s Hospital specialists. Not only are they experts in providing regular checkups and caring for your children when they are ill, they also have at their disposal an entire hospital of specialists to help when more complex conditions arise.
When you choose a Medical City Children’s Hospital pediatrician, you have the peace of mind and convenience that comes with access to all these specialists. Additionally, children can enjoy continuity in their care when they transition to Medical City adult specialists.
Tips for Choosing a Pediatrician
In his book 1001 Healthy Baby Answers: Pediatricians’ Answers to All the Questions You Didn’t Know to Ask, Medical City Children’s Hospital pediatrician Gary Morchower discusses the challenge of selecting the best pediatrician for your child. Recommendations from friends, relatives and your obstetrician can help you find several candidates. But then it’s time to call and schedule visits to their offices.
Visiting pediatricians’ offices can help you find a location that feels comfortable to you. You should also take the opportunity to interview them. Usually, you might get about 20 minutes. Dr. Morchower recommends asking questions such as:
- How long have you been practicing pediatrics?
- Are you board-certified by the American Board of Pediatrics?
- Do you have any ongoing relationship with a medical school and, if so, in what capacity?
- Will you visit my baby in the hospital following delivery, and will the baby be examined every day during its hospital stay?
- What are your office hours, and are after-hours and weekend visits available?
- What is the normal wait time in your waiting room?
- What is your philosophy toward the use of antibiotics in your practice, and do you try to avoid them as much as possible during most minor illnesses?
- If my child has an emergency after hours or needs to be hospitalized, what hospital(s) do you use?
Information about recommended immunization schedules can be obtained from the Texas Department of State Health Services, Immunizations Branch.
Read answers to common questions parents ask their pediatricians, or view tips for understanding and taking care of your children.
See a list of Medical City Children’s Hospital general pediatricians.