Department of Congenital Heart Program
Highly specialized care for hearts of all sizes.
Medical City Children’s Hospital in Dallas is the only hospital in North Texas with a core team of cardiovascular specialists — including some of the nation’s leading heart specialists — who treat congenital heart defects and heart disease in both pediatric and adult patients. Our facility is home to both Medical City Children’s Hospital and Medical City Dallas, so we are uniquely qualified to treat hearts of all sizes and offer continuing care throughout your child’s life. The Congenital Heart Program accommodates more than 400 children annually who undergo heart operations.
Why Choose Medical City Children’s Hospital?
Medical City Children’s Hospital is:
- The only hospital in North Texas where fetal diagnosis, high-risk deliveries, stabilization in the neonatal intensive care unit, corrective surgery, state-of-the-art postoperative monitoring and care and long-term follow-up of patients with complex congenital heart disease can all be performed under one roof.
- The first hospital in North Texas to receive a third re-designation as an ANCC Magnet® hospital by the American Nurses Credentialing Center for excellence in nursing care, making us part of a select group of hospitals worldwide to earn this prestigious designation.
- The only program in Dallas with cardiovascular specialists who treat congenital heart disease in both pediatric and adult patients on the same campus.
- So successful that we have attracted referrals from across the country and our outreach program clinics have treated patients from more than 125 communities in North Texas and surrounding states.
- A Gold Level Center of Excellence for cardiac and respiratory ECMO (extracorporeal membrane oxygenation)
- An American Heart Association/American Stroke Association Get With The Guidelines® Resuscitation Silver Award winner, in recognition for exceptional clinical quality in pediatric resuscitation
Pediatric Congenital Heart Conditions We Treat Include:
- Absent pulmonary valve
- Anomalous left coronary artery (ALCAPA)
- Aortic stenosis
- Atrial septal defect
- Atrioventricular canal defect
- Double aortic arch
- Double outlet right ventricle
- Fetal cardiac dysfunction
- Heart murmur
- Hypoplastic left heart syndrome
- Hypoplastic right heart syndrome
- Interrupted aortic arch
- Patent ductus arteriosus
- Pulmonary atresia
- Pulmonary valve stenosis
- Septal defects
- Single ventricle anomalies
- Tetralogy of Fallot
- Total anomalous pulmonary venous connection
- Tricuspid atresia
- Truncus arteriosus
- Ventricular septal defect
Comprehensive Care from Highly Specialized Teams
Our pediatric congenital heart team works with subspecialty-trained, board-certified doctors, nurses and respiratory therapists as well as specialists from related fields — including the Advanced Maternal & Newborn Institute, General Surgery, Radiology and many other subspecialty disciplines — to ensure that your child receives the most comprehensive care possible. This attention to pediatric cardiac critical care has resulted in superlative patient outcomes that exceed national norms. Should your child need it, our Level IV Neonatal Intensive Care Unit provides the highest level of NICU care in Dallas, and our dedicated children’s ER has private rooms with space for you to stay with your child.