Pediatric cancer treatment at Medical City Children's Hospital
The comprehensive Pediatric Hematology and Oncology Center at Medical City Children's Hospital consists of dedicated, compassionate pediatric specialists committed to providing leading edge treatment for infants, children, adolescents and young adults with all types of pediatric cancer and blood disorders. Because parents and children face so much stress and anxiety, we strive to offer families all the support they need and the hope they deserve. Our new pediatric cancer unit includes:
- 12 patient rooms - with flat screen HD 55-inch smart televisions, built in desks, shelves, closets and cubbies for storage
- A spacious family lounge - with a computer, a flat screen HD 55-inch smart television, microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker and refreshments for families
- Two playrooms - separated for teens and children and stocked with games and toys to provide a break from hospital routines
- Exercise bike for patients
- Conference room - with a computer and television for physician consultations with patients
- HEPA filters in all patient rooms and playrooms - providing air purification for cancer patients
We treat all pediatric cancers and blood disorders and provide a full range of clinical services, including state-of-the-art imaging, innovative treatment protocols, surgery, radiation and stem cell transplant for infants, children and adolescent patients. When necessary, our physicians see referral patients on the same day a referral is made.
Every Medical City Children’s Hospital hematology and oncology patient sees board-certified pediatric subspecialists who strongly believe in open lines of communication with parents, children and our patients’ pediatricians. Because we understand that caring for children is different from treating adults, we provide an environment that offers children and their families an opportunity to heal both physically and emotionally. Our families have access to both Child Life and family therapists.
Our multidisciplinary team is staffed by a team of pediatric specialists, and specially trained nurses are trained in the management and recognition of problems unique to children with cancer and blood disorders. All Medical City Children’s Hospital specialists see patients on one campus to deliver collaborative care from a holistic approach.
Furthermore, we strive to share and discover knowledge. As a member of the Children’s Oncology Group—a national organization leading the effort to prevent and cure childhood cancer—we access innovative therapy and treatment protocols.